Student smiling in front of notice board


Applying For Your Student Visa

Please read the information below about next steps for obtaining a student visa to come and study with us on campus at DePaul.

How To Get A Student Visa

In order to apply for your visa, you must complete the following steps:

  1. Receive your I-20 from DePaul University – review it carefully.
  2. Pay the SEVIS fee – you can pay the SEVIS fee online. If you are transferring your I-20, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee. If you have questions, please email
  3. Complete the form DS-160 to begin your visa process – download the form from the US Government website.
  4. Schedule and prepare for your visa interview – you will need to gather several supporting documents, including your original SEVIS form I-20 issued by DePaul University, your financial documents that show adequate funds to pay tuition and living expenses for at least your first year of studies, your passport (valid for at least 6 months past your anticipated arrival in the US), and two passport-sized photos.
  5. Attend your visa interview at the U.S Consulate or Embassy.
  6. Wait for your F-1 entry visa – contact the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your country for more information about the procedure for applying for a student visa.

For full visa guidance, visit the US Department of State website.

When Should I Apply For A Visa?

It is best to apply early for the visa to make sure there is sufficient time for visa processing. Notify us via email at once your visa status is known. Please inform your Student Enrollment Advisor when you have made your visa appointment and let us know the outcome. Further information on visas can be found on the DePaul University website.

Joining The On-Campus Program

A visa allows a foreign citizen to travel to a US port-of entry and request permission from the US immigration officer to enter the USA. It does not guarantee entry into the USA.

Most non-US citizens who wish to study in the USA will seek an F-1 (non-immigrant) student visa, but there are other visa types that are sometimes authorized for those who study in the US. An F-1 visa is for people who want to study at an accredited US university or to study English at a university or intensive English language institute.

Once you have been accepted in a program, provided the required financial documents and paid your deposit, DePaul University will issue a Form I-20 from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). You can then apply for a visa to study in the US at DePaul University.